SmartyScholars is a nonprofit organization that spearheads research & innovation about the most effective pedagogical modalities and practices in the 21st century.
COVID-19 has isolated middle school and high school students from authentic learning experiences with their peers. Meanwhile, research shows that students are on average 7 months behind in reading and math after the pandemic while low-income students are behind by more than a year.
We pair gifted Title 1 Middle school students with mature, ambitious high school students to work together on reading, grammar, and math on our adaptive skill-building platform, SmartyPrep.
See the data...
- Our Methodology: When paired with adaptive skill-building technology, 1-on-1 tutoring and mentorship provide the unique opportunity to integrate what you learn. Through a practice grounded in the Socratic Method spearheaded by President Ian Siegel, both tutors and students experience the benefits of a learning modality 2 standard deviations more effective than the traditional classroom. [source]
- Our Philosophy: When you learn to communicate with someone from a different walk of life, you learn to learn at your potential.
- Our Vision: Imagine a world where middle and high students amass the skills that count in the 21st century by learning from each other across socioeconomic, geographic, and cultural barriers.
Grounded in peer-reviewed research in neurology, psychology, and pedagogy, SmartyScholars’ Peer2Peer Tutoring Program provides the technological platform, training, and program implementation for high school student volunteers to perform highly effective high-dosage reading and math tutoring remotely with gifted students at Title 1 middle schools.
Peer2Peer Tutoring Program
Underprivileged middle school students would acquire necessary reading/math/grammar skills to prepare them for higher education through
free 1-on-1 virtual tutoring.
Peer2Peer Tutoring Program
High school students can learn how to integrate what they learn in school through a 1-on-1 authentic interaction.
An eight week summer reading/math tutoring intensive
- Tutors and students meet twice per week virtually for one hour each
- Mutually agreed upon time
- Two hours of homework every week
- Opportunities for extended tutoring relationships during the school year
Check back for update on fall and spring programming
Total Value of Scholarships Awarded
Some of our SmartyScholars Cohort Acceptances
Johns Hopkins University* (2)
University of Maryland, College Park Honors College* (2)
New York University
Delaware State University
North Carolina A&T State University
University of Southern California
The New School
Washington and Jefferson College