SmartyScholars is a nonprofit organization that pairs professionally trained undergraduate tutors with talented, low-income students in Baltimore City to propel reading, math and soft skill development.
See the data...
- Only 3% of students at the nation’s top colleges come from families in the bottom 25% income bracket.
- 60 percent of the wealthiest students complete their studies and graduate, but only about 16 percent of low-income college students graduate, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. However, low income students at elite colleges (which tend to have already higher graduation rates) graduate at almost the same rate as affluent students and end up earning almost as much on average as affluent students who attend the same college.
- There are 29 colleges with graduation rates over 90% for Black and Latina students. Here are the top ten: Brown University, Pomona College, Harvard University, University of Notre Dame, Skidmore College, Scripps College, Davidson College, Emory University, Stanford University, Wesleyan University.
- Low-income students who attend selective colleges are less likely to have debt than those who attend low-tier colleges. Typical lower-income students (from a family earning $50,000 or less) face an annual bill of $6,000 at top private colleges.
- Elite colleges, as compared to less selective institutions, offer low income students peer mentoring, transition programs, and supportive advising at a higher rate.
Total Value of Scholarships Awarded
Some of our SmartyScholars Cohort Acceptances
Johns Hopkins University* (2)
University of Maryland, College Park Honors College* (2)
New York University
Delaware State University
North Carolina A&T State University
University of Southern California
The New School
Washington and Jefferson College